Today I was in the mood to make something with Black Japonica Rice and so I fixed a Bodacious Rice Bowl with this unusual variety of rice.
I had picked it up at Rainbow Grocery in San Francisco and thought today was the day to try it out.
Black Japonica Rice is a mix of Asian black short-grain rice and medium-grain mahogany rice that were grown together in the same field. When cooked it has a nutty mushroom flavor coupled with a subtle, sweet spiciness and crunchy, chewy texture that goes well as a side dish, in rice salads or in stir-fried foods or simply on it’s own.
It turns the cooking water a purplish brown. Black Japonica rice is full in natural vitamins, minerals and fiber and is very healthy ingredient.
I thought it would be a perfect thing to use as a take on Rice Bowl. And it was a success.
Bodacious Black Japonica Rice Bowl with Tofu (2-3 servings)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/2 pound organic firm tofu, 1/2 inch dice, dried to remove excess moisture
1/2 medium white onion, chopped
1/2 leek, chopped
1 small stalk celery, chopped
1 small clove garlic, smashed
1 tsp of salt
1 tbl tabasco sauce
1/2 tsp pepper
2 cups pre-cooked black japonica rice (cooking instructions below)
1 tsp sesame oil to finish
1. Heat both oils and add diced tofu cooking slowly until browned. It is important to dry the tofu or it will splatter when it hits the oil. Do not move the tofu until it is browned or it will stick to the pan (I used a regular pan not non-stick).
2. Remove tofu from pan once browned and put on plate lined with a paper towel to absorb the oil.
3. Add onions and leeks to the pan and saute until golden (adding oil if necessary). Tofu tends to absorb a lot of oil.
4. Add celery to pan and saute a few more minutes. Add garlic and saute a few minutes.
5. Add cooked japonica rice to pan and tabasco and mix through. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6 Add the tofu back into the pan and mix through the rice. Continue stirring the rice so that it does not stick until tofu is warmed through.
7. Remove rice from pan and serve with sesame oil to finish.
Cooking Black Japonica RIce
1 cup black japonica rice
2 1/4 cups water or broth
Combine in rice-cooker; takes about 50 minutes to cook. Let stand for 10 minutes before fluffing.