Bodacious Goatherd’s Pie – A New Take on Shepherd’s Pie

Yes it is summer and yes it is not exactly hot weather food.  But I wanted to make a shepherd’s pie and wanted to spin it differently.  Use goat instead of lamb.

Goat is a very healthy alternative to other red meat.  A 3-ounce serving of cooked ground goat meat contains about 120 calories, of which 75 percent comes from protein and the remaining 25 percent coming from fat, far less than beef or pork.  I bought my ground goat from a local farmer’s market.  The vendor raises the goat in Oregon and brings the meat down to the market.

This is the best ground goat I’ve had.  My friends who are not lovers of goat meat are skeptical of the taste.  They love it too.  Not gamey, just beautiful tasting meat.  Very little fat was rendered when I was cooking it up.  Very lean ground goat!

This recipe is an adaptation of a shepherd’s pie recipe that I got from my friend Nuala, an Irish gal who knows about Shepherd’s Pie.  I think the version made with goat is a very tasty alternative to the more traditional shepherd’s pie.  I hope you think so too!

Goatherd's Pie
Goatherd’s Pie – Bodacious Style

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 lb. ground goat
  • 1 1/2c sliced mushrooms
  • 2 carrots diced
  • 1 large onion chopped
  • 2 carrots diced
  • 1 garlic clove crushed
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 1/2c beef stock
  • 1 tbl worchestshire sauce
  • salt/black pepper
  • 4-6 large potatoes (yukon gold)
  • 1/4 cup hot milk
  • 2 tbl butter

Method

  1. In a large pan (I use a copper Mauveil pan) render fat from goat – drain off fat
  2. Remove goat from pan and add 1 tbl of fat back into the pan
  3. Add vegetables to fat
  4. Cook until soft
  5. Return goat, add flour and cook stirring for a minute
  6. Add stock, worchestshire sauce, salt pepper, bring to a boil
  7. Turn down the heat, simmer covered for 30 minutes
  8. While simmering make the mashed potatoes (with the quantity of potatoes, milk and butter listed above).  I like to put my potatoes through a potato ricer as I find I get a nice texture.
  9. Cool goat mixture before assembling
  10. Put goat mixture in individual serving dishes, top with mashed potatoes.  Or you may put in a larger baking dish, cooking time goes up a bit.
  11. Bake for at 400 degrees for 30 minutes

Remove from the oven and let sit for 20 minutes.

Serve and Enjoy!

This recipe is easily doubled and freezes very well.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s