Perfect day, wonderfully healthy. Winning back my health
I adore hulled barley, very nutritious, very tasty and fantastic as a breakfast cereal/grain.
Hulled barley, also known as barley groats, is the whole grain form of barley, with only the outermost hull removed.
It has a nice tooth, is chewy with a lot of fiber, it’s the healthiest kind of barley. But it takes longer to cook than pearl barley. I did mine in the Instant Pot and it took 22 minutes. But so worth it, lovely texture
A cup of cooked hulled barley has 651 calories,22.96 g of protein, 4.23 g of fat, 0 g of cholesterol, 135 g of carbohydrate, 31.8 g of dietary fiber and is loaded with vitamins and minerals like calcium, iron, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B6, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium and zinc.
Health Benefits of Hulled Barley
1) Blood pressure – good for blood pressure health .
2) Bone health – It’s the minerals that make the difference.
3) Heart health – Again it is all about the minerals and this time fiber, they all support a healthy heart.
4) Cancer – Barley contains selenium is a mineral that is not present in most foods. No vitamin needed for selenium, eat Barley!
5) Inflammation – Barley contains choline and that helps with sleep, muscle movement and learning,absorption of fat and reduces chronic inflammation.
6) Digestion and regularity – The fiber in barley helps prevent constipation and promotes regularity with the end result being a healthy tract. MO BETTA ON THAT ONE
7) And the big one for me: weight management and satiety
So eat more hulled barley and feel MO BETTA!
Breakfast: Hulled Barley, almond milk, ground chia seeds, ground hemp seeds and tangelos
Lunch: Grilled cheese and lentil soup. Looks like it could rain so rainy day food.
Dinner:Sardine, roasted russet potato, corn, cornichons, red onion with dijon, balsamic, agave dressing salad and steamed asparagus